Saturday, January 03, 2009

Part 6 - Aaron...and we're home

I ran out of time to post this while I was in Delaware. (Computer time is hard to come by in a house with 4 teenagers staying in it.) However, I could not complete my feelings about Delaware without including my brother. He is my lone sibling, older than I am by 4 1/2 years. My mom asked me recently if I can remember ever having a fight with him. I do remember one, but she wasn't home at the time, and I take the blame, because I was an annoying little sister. But we weren't fighters. I suppose it was the age difference and the boy/girl thing, but we really didn't have much to do with each other growing up. He was always there but had his own interests, and I had mine.

One thing brought us together: one of my good friends in middle school was Wendy. She had an older sister, Lyn. He wanted to date Lyn, so he was always glad to have to pick Wendy up or take me to her house. He and Lyn celebrated their 20th anniversary in August.

He was away at college during my teenage years, but it was always fun when he'd come home. He often brought gifts and had stories that made college seem so fun. So, I followed in his footsteps and went to the same school. His last year there was my first year. Everything changed after that. He lived off campus, and I was stuck in a dorm with no means of transportation. He would pick me up and take me to his apartment just to hang out or he'd get me out of a night at the campus cafeteria by taking me out to dinner. He would also take me home for weekends, because he wanted to see Lyn, and I would get homesick...the first semester at least. During those 6 hour drives home, we bonded. I now count him as one of my best friends. We often finish each others' sentences. When I go to DE, he often plans fun for just me. He takes me to off the beaten path places to see movies and bands, and it is a lot of fun. This time we went to a regular movie, but it was still a great time.

I will close with one picture taken the night before we left. I had several picked out but ran out of time to have my dad take the pictures. Too bad, we were pretty cute kids.

2 comments:

Chellie said...

I'm glad you are home safe and sound. :) It seems like you really had a great time!

I loved reading about you and your brother! That is awesome! Your relationship is very special - and it seems like you know that.

Aaron said...

Wow, he sounds like a pretty cool guy, I'd like to meet him sometime. ha ha