Friday, January 23, 2009

More pink tutu stories

Let me describe MK to you. First of all, she is not perfect. I don't have any inclination that my daughter is a perfect angel who does no wrong. You can sense the "but" coming, I'm sure. Here it is. But...she has always been VERY well behaved at school. She is kind of afraid to get in trouble, so she has always listened to her teachers, turned in her homework, etc. She's not a straight A student, but she tries. She is, however, an individual as far as personality and fashion go. You might remember this:

















I didn't pick out the tutu; I didn't buy the tutu; she did that all on her own. She wore it to school the other day, and the assistant principal said that she cannot wear it anymore. This is the 3rd thing she has been called out for about her dress code. One of her fashion choices was to wear multiple bracelets...those little rubber ones that come in many colors. They were her "signature." She was told that she can't wear those, or at least as many as she was wearing. Then she was also told to stop wearing her fingerless gloves. She was told that they are "gang" related. Ugh. We have not had a problem with any of these fashion choices (even the pink tips in her hair.) But we've told her that if that's the rule, albeit spoken and not found in the dress code, we will abide by it. She can wear these things at home, just not at school, and no complaining about it, because that's just the way it is.

I am reminded of a series of the Peanuts comic strip that I read as a kid. Peppermint Patty's dad had gotten her a pair of sandals. She loved them, and then the school told her that she couldn't wear them. Big tough Peppermint Patty shed a tear over it. MK hasn't cried; it isn't that big of a deal, but it made me think of that.



















Today when I was subbing in band, we watched a video called "Canadian Brass." It was a group of brass players from Canada (obviously,) and they interspersed comedy with the music. In one of the segments, they were pretending to perform a ballet that they had played for, but being musicians in the orchestra pit, had never seen. In one scene, one of the men came out in a....pink tutu. I watched it earlier in the day, so I couldn't wait for MK to see it. I thought she'd get a kick out of it. So, I told her at one point to look for something that was just for her to appreciate. Her class was very large and not too well behaved, so we almost didn't get to it. But we did. As soon as it came on, I looked at her, and she was laughing and looked back at me, because she knew that's what I had been talking about. It was one of those fun mother/daughter moments. What I hadn't expected was that all over the room kids started yelling, "Maddie," as soon as they saw it. That made her face turn bright red, but she loved it. I was so happy to have been a part of it. Plus, two teachers asked me to sub for them next week, so I'll be busy Monday, Thursday and Friday!

Since I subbed today, and the Big Man went to work at 5 a.m., T.Willy had to get up early with me and be at his school at 6:20. He woke up very easily, even though he normally gets up at 7:45 or 8:00. Then he ate breakfast at school. So I'll include a picture of him eating breakfast. He gets a nap when I sub, so he makes up for the lost sleep. He hasn't napped for me since he was 2, but he naps just fine at school. MK was the same way.

















Tonight is pizza and movie night. I rented the movies and will go out later to pick up pizza. The Big Man is off all weekend, so I hope the whole family is looking forward to SLEEP!!! I hope you have a great weekend too!

No comments: