Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Farmer's (Grand)daughter

My paternal grandparents lived on a farm. I have very few memories of it being an actual working farm, but when I was young, there were cows and chickens. However, my grandparents were older, and I mostly remember a house in the country. My uncle still lives there, and I've mentioned before that it's one of my favorite places on earth.

For a long time, I have talked about living in the country. That dream isn't going to be realized for a long time, but I have found a substitute. Tractor Supply opened a store in our town. We visited it recently, and I walked in and had this thought: "I'm home!" The Big Man did not share this feeling, and I really don't know where it came from. I grew up in the suburbs. I live in the suburbs. But I dream of the country. One of my favorite books in the last few years was 50 Acres and a Poodle by Jeanne Marie Laskas. I loved this book. It said what I feel. It may never happen, but I will continue to dream.
















And here is a picture of me that day trying on hats at Tractor Supply. I suspect if I really lived on a farm, I would have little need for a hat decorated with shells. It did not come home with me.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I love the hat and you look so cute in it. I would love to live on a farm. I grew up on a mini-farm, about 20 acres, but we had everything you could put on a farm, horses, cows, pigs, goats, ducks, chickens and anything else my Dad could fit. I loved it and I really think it makes children more responsible later in life, I know it did me. That's my dream, I would love to have a horse again.

Chellie said...

Why do you look so good all the time... and in anything? It's so not fair.