Thursday, February 26, 2009

First Day

The first day at work went well. We had chapel, a fire drill, Art and recess, in addition to the regular subjects. Wow...what a full day. And because I am me, I usually have some kind of ambivalence about every new big thing in life. It happened to me today on the way home. I really like the school and the people are great, but it's about a 35 minute drive, and I get home after 4:00. When I subbed at MK's school, I was home by 2:10. I started thinking about how much time I was losing with the kids. Then MK sent a message saying that T. Willy's school had called. They've never called before. I immediately thought he was upset that I was so late, and they were calling to get me to calm him down. I was only 2 minutes from his school. When I got there, I found out it was just about a tax number that the Big Man had asked for. T. was happily playing when I got to his room, and wasn't upset at all. What a relief.

One funny thing...the first comment a student made to me was that the boys were disappointed because I wouldn't know how to play football. When they were at recess, the other teacher played football with the boys, and I don't think a single boy spoke to me. Then the teacher was nursing a sore knee, so he took a break. I grabbed a ball and played with the boys...as much as I could in a skirt and sandals. I proved that girls can play football. I threw and caught and, eventually, all the boys were playing with me. So, I think they're going to be okay with me. Tomorrow is the other teacher's last day, so Monday will be completely different, but I'm eager to establish myself in the classroom.

MK is feeling better. She went back to school today and seems much better.

So, that's it for me. I guess it's time to make dinner. The Big Man won't be home for a couple of hours, so I'll see what I can find for the rest of us. I'll try to take a picture later.

1 comment:

Chellie said...

I'm glad everything is going well. Way to throw a ball girl!

Good to hear about T and MK.

I'm so happy for you! I think it will be great!