Saturday, December 27, 2008

What Delaware means to me

Did that sound like the title of a third grade school essay?

Anyway, I get a little sentimental when I'm here. I was born in Delaware, and with the exception of two years (ages 3-5) that we lived in Australia, I lived in Delaware until I was 17 and left to go to college in Virginia. I got married when I was 19 and have lived out of Delaware longer than I lived here. However, I still use the word "home" to describe it. T. Willy questioned that yesterday. I said something about "when we get home" meaning after our plane arrived, and he said, "We aren't going home till January 2nd." Clearly he has only one definition of home. But home is where the heart is; therefore, I have two.

I have compiled a photo gallery of just a few things that mean "Delaware" to me. There are many others, but not everyone is here right now, and I haven't left the house yet today.


I must start with the house. We moved here when I was 7. Not one room in the house resembles a room as it was when I lived here. For that matter, when we moved here, the exterior was gold, with darker gold shutters. How things change. But it's home.









The porch swing. My grandfather built this, and it is my favorite place to be. I have held both of my babies and my brother's babies on it, and I've spent hours just "being" on it. No matter how cold it is when I'm here, I always spend time on it.













My mom. Home wouldn't be the same without her. She spoils the grandkids (and me) and is always on the go. I caught this picture of her while she was taking down the Christmas decorations.














My dad. There are some things that you don't ever want to change. This is one of them...my dad starts his day with coffee and the newspaper. He has also grown a goatee. I love it! My mom is less enamored with it.














Circus peanuts! My mom never disappoints.













The Christmas card basket. My mom keeps her Christmas cards on the piano (my childhood archnemesis.) I love to come home and read them and look at pictures of people I haven't seen for a long time.












My nephew. (The other nephew and niece didn't spend the night, so I'll have to add their pictures later.) He is almost always wearing a hat.












There are others, of course, but that's it for now. I'm sure I'll find plenty more to post later. Have a wonderful day!!

2 comments:

ShadeofDeath said...

Wow. Delaware is a very special place for you. Some people have no definition of home other than a house. That's really cool how what happens under the roof holds more significance with you.

Chellie said...

oh so fun! love it! I'm glad you are home for a little while. Enjoy it.