Monday, December 29, 2008

Part 3

Today we attended a funeral for a woman that I'd known my entire life. Her granddaughter was one of my childhood best friends. Mrs. S. had seven children: six girls and a boy who was a year ahead of me in school. Today her life was truly celebrated. Fortunately, I don't go to many funerals. This is the first one I've been to that had the family giving the eulogy. It was amazing. They are a close family. They have gathered at Mrs. S's house every Sunday for as long as I can remember. That was spoken about several times, and I am so thankful that I was able to be a part of several of those Sunday afternoons. I knew most of the cousins, and it just seemed like a big adventure to me, with babies and cousins and aunts and uncles and kids playing in the yard and lots and lots of good food. Last year when I was home for Christmas, I stopped by unannounced. Nobody blinked an eye. They just welcomed me in. My friend, Jami, wasn't there yet, so Mrs. S. and the aunts and Jami's mother showed me photo albums and talked to me about where everyone was. I always felt at home there, and, although I would have liked to have seen them under different circumstances, I am very thankful that I was able to be a part of it today.
That really is one of the things that Delaware means to me.

Another is dinner with my family. My mom was very good about having us eat meals together as a family. I have many memories of the 4 of us gathered around the table laughing and talking. Tonight we gathered around the table with 4 of the grandchildren. I was seated between my parents, so I asked MK to snap a picture with my phone. It isn't the best picture, technically, but it does say Delaware to me.










Have a wonderful night! I'm off to play board games...that will probably be #4!

1 comment:

Chellie said...

I'm sorry about the funeral. Losing someone is never easy. I'm glad you were there - they sound like a wonderful family!

Love the picture.