Saturday, May 30, 2009

Congratulations, Benj!

How is it that I can so clearly remember my brother's high school graduation, and yet today his son graduated from high school? But that is what happened. So, here are some pictures of the event. Due to the distance, I wasn't able to attend, but my mom sent some pictures.


Benjamin




















The family minus the other nephew
















Benjamin and Alyssa


















He has been talking to an Army recruiter, and it looks like he is going to enlist. I don't know too many details, but I do wish him the very best. And now...because I always have a story....a story.

My brother and his wife were married on August 6, 1988. The Big Man and I were married 364 days later, on August 5, 1989. On the Wednesday before our wedding, my brother (our wedding photographer) took some pictures of me at the church. My mom and my sister in law were there. I didn't notice that they had kind of sneaked off to talk. Then, while I was standing on the altar, my brother announced that they were pregnant. I remember standing there in my wedding dress bawling. I was so excited for them!

He was born on a Tuesday, I think, and the Big Man and I skipped classes Thursday and Friday to drive up from Virginia to see him. He was so tiny with the prettiest red hair. I did fine when I was able to see him, but when my brother put him in my arms...I can't describe the feeling,but I cried again. He was the first baby in our immediate family since me. I have never been able to live near him, but I have always enjoyed our visits and especially the visit he made here by himself when he was 16.

So Happy Graduation, Benj! Thanks for all the tears.

2 comments:

Melissa Gephart said...

Wow - graduation! I remember when he was born and that Aaron brought the video into the school. Was it really that long ago?

Chellie said...

Yay for graduations! That was such a sweet story! I love it. :) You're a wonderful sister and aunt.