Sunday, May 10, 2009

Blessed

I've been blessed with many wonderful mothers in my life. My grandmothers were wonderful, my mother-in-law is wonderful, I have amazing aunts, and there are many other women who have been wonderful influences in my life.

But I have only one "mom," and she is truly wonderful.

There is no way I can list the things that make her so wonderful. However, this morning, MK made me think of one way that I can accurately describe it. I have a new favorite song and video; Taylor's Swift "The Best Day." I've seen the video with MK twice, and I've cried through it both times. When it was over, I told MK that it reminded me of her and things we've done together. She said it was because I was her favorite.

I used to feel sorry for my brother. Poor Aaron, I always thought; it must have been hard to grow up with me as a sister, because I was so obviously the favorite. I knew my mom loved him, but I knew that she loved me better! The subject came up once, and I was surprised to find that he had always felt sorry for me, because he knew that he was the favorite. I think that is a sign of a wonderful mother...she made us both feel that we were the most special kids on earth. What more could we ask for?

So, on yet another Mother's Day that I spend away from my mom, I want her to know that I am thinking of her, and, Mom, I thank you for all that you've done for me. I know I wasn't always the most appreciative, but I know now how much you did (do) for me, and I think about you every day!

Love, Annette

Now pictures:

This is my mom around age 30, and I'm probably 6 in this picture.


This picture is one of my favorite childhood memories. I was in first grade and our teacher was planning a surprise. We were NOT allowed to tell our mothers that we had something special planned; we just had to tell them that we wanted them to come in and do a craft. My mom told me that she wouldn't be able to come, because she was working, but I tried very hard to convince her without giving it away. In my 6 year old mind, I thought I was being stealthy. Anyway, the day came, and I watched other mothers come in, and I tried not to get my hopes up. Then, I still remember looking at the door and seeing my mom walk in! To this day, 33 years later, I haven't forgotten that. We had written stories for our moms, which she still has, and our teacher gave the moms pictures, which I have at my house for some reason. Thank you, Mom!

1 comment:

Chellie said...

Such a cute story about being the "favorite!" I smiled when I read it. She does sound wonderful and so are YOU!