Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Birds

Today had something of a bird theme.

At school, we have chapel on Thursdays. We were seated and ready to start when the kids realized that there was a bird in the sanctuary. Their attention was definitely diverted as it flew back and forth and perched itself on a picture frame. It finally flew into a foyer with doors to the sanctuary and outside, and they were able to close the doors behind it, then set it free.

Then we went to recess where my girls found some birds' eggs. Contrary to what we've all been told (never touch an egg found in the wild) the girls did. Then I made them put them back, and words like "bird-killer" and "Mean Mrs. G." were directed toward me. They were so angry with me that they were crying. They came up to me and begged me to let them keep them. They said they were going to save their money and buy an incubator so that they could save the eggs. But mean old Mrs. G. just wouldn't let them.

By the end of the day, I'd managed to take each of the girls aside and explain that I really wasn't trying to be mean, but wanted the eggs to be in their nests where they were supposed to be, and where Nature and their mothers intended. All but one seemed to understand, but I endured a lot of evil looks and whispers until then.

All in a day's work.

I hope you had a great day!

No comments: