Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dirt, dirt, good ol' dirt.

We moved into this house in 2001. When we moved in, I wanted to plant an apple tree. However, we had never lived anywhere more than a few years, so it never seemed like I'd have time to see a tree grow fruit, so I put it off. Last year I wanted to do it, and when I went to get it, they were gone. But this year, I determined that I was going to do it! So, after work today, I stopped by Lowe's. At first I couldn't find the kind I wanted, Granny Smith, and I thought I'd missed my opportunity this year. Then I found it...a lone Granny Smith tree was sitting there. I was willing to wrestle for it, but I didn't have to, and I brought it home. I planted it after dinner. I have a few pictures of the process, but it got dark before I could get the finished product. I'll try to get that tomorrow. Here are pictures leading up to it, though. Hopefully we'll have apples in 3 years or so. I guess that means we're staying here for awhile. *It was just a coincidence this happened on Earth Day, but it was fitting.

It starts with a hole.

















See, I did it myself...in flip-flops!


















Filling it back up...I mulched it after that. My garden is behind it...I will be weeding a lot this weekend.

1 comment:

Chellie said...

yay! for earth day!