Sunday, November 30, 2008

November 30

When I was a freshman in college, I received a phone call on this date that changed things. My friend from home, Jami, called to tell me that our mutual friend, Chuck, had been in a car accident. She didn't seem too worried about it, so I didn't worry. I talked to my mom later that night, and she had also heard about it and promised to keep me informed. Since I was in Virginia at the time, I relied on information from my friends and family. The news for a long time was that he was in a coma, but no one seemed too worried about it. I think we all assumed he was going to wake up. I went home for Christmas break and visited him in the hospital, and nothing changed. For quite a long time, I visited him in the hospital, but there was never an improvement. He changed hospitals, and his mom called and asked me to visit, because people had stopped going by, obviously myself included. I took another friend, Mark, with me, and we were able to walk him around in a wheelchair, but, while his eyes were open, and he sat upright, there was no indication that he was aware that we were there. His parents finally moved him to a long term care facility.

In June of 1990, I was now married, and my mom called. She had read in the newspaper that Chuck had died. His parents had a private service for him, and not very many people even knew that it had happened.

I am reminded of that time every year on this date. Chuck was my first really close friend to die. I still miss him. His mom and I still exchange Christmas cards, and I look forward to receiving hers every year.

This wasn't exactly the feel good post of the year. But I thought it was important to remember...because Chuck is remembered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember him too... I never knew exactly when he died just that he had passed. He was a really really nice guy.

Chellie said...

It's most important that he is remembered. I am glad you are that type of person - remember it all, remember Chuck. That is how it should be.