Saturday, July 16, 2005

I've Been Tagged

Okay, Melissa in VA, here we go.

10 years ago
MK was 2 months old and we were living in Statesville, NC. I was a new stay at home mom and just trying to figure out the whole mothering thing. I remember little sleep and lots of nursing, lots and lots and lots.

5 years ago
We were living in this town but in another house. I was dreaming about this house although I didn't know its address. I even had a list. The Big Man was working at his current job and I was teaching 4 year old preschool. I think I was working that summer and MK was in my class. I became certified to teach in Florida and taught a first grade class for the school year.

1 year ago
T. Willy was 3 months old. I was only getting up once a night with him and then he'd go right back to sleep, so I was getting more sleep than I did with MK. I wasn't nursing. I believe we had just gotten back from Nashville to see my niece play in a basketball tournament. We were living in this house.

Yesterday
The Big Man was home and it rained all day so we watched movies. We finally saw National Treasure. We are not at all current in our movie watching. We liked it and enjoyed snuggling on the sofa while we watched and T. napped. I don't believe I even left the house. I cleaned and sneezed.

Today
I finished cleaning and played with T. He was in a great mood which let me get a lot accomplished. I pushed him on the swing and then we waited for MK to come home. She did and we're so happy. She had a great time but it's wonderful to have her home. She and I are watching a movie on the Disney Channel and I'm answering my tag.

5 Snacks I enjoy
Mint chocolate chip ice cream, Movie theater popcorn - the next day, Soft pretzels, Snowcones, Green olives

5 bands I know most of the lyrics of their songs
The Beatles, Matchbox Twenty, James Taylor, Simon and Garfunkel and Nanci Griffith


Things that I would do with 100 million dollars
In addition to making sure that my loved ones were financially stable, educations secured, investments made and donating money to worthy causes, I would treat the Big Man to a Rolex. He is a "watch-o-phile" and that is something he has always wanted. I know exactly which one he wants, so I would run right out and get it. But if there are any philanthropists reading this who are just dying to part with their money - this is what I would like to do: my uncle lives on the land that I knew as my grandparents' home. It isn't where all of their kids grew up, but it is the only place I ever knew as their home. Uncle N never married or had children, but took care of my grandmother after my grandfather died and sacrificed a lot to do that. The home sits on 58 acres in West Virginia, but the house is in really poor shape. It's over 100 years old and probably just needs to be torn down and a new home built. I would also rebuild the barn. That land is my favorite place on earth and I would love for it to be a place for my kids to visit with their children. Incidentally, my second favorite place on earth is my mom's front porch, specifically on the swing that her dad made. We've thought about making that request to Extreme Home Makeover, but it's not really a sad story of need, just something that would take more money than we have to make happen.


5 bad habits
I interrupt people, that's a really bad one.
I am critical of people as if I have never looked in a mirror or at my own heart.
I would rather write a list of what needs to be done than to just do it.
I watch too much tv.
I am stubborn when I think I'm right - but in my defense, have no trouble admitting it when I'm shown to be wrong.
Possibly more character flaws than bad habits, but it was cathartic.


5 locations that I would run away to
New York City at Christmastime
Paris anytime - but only for 3 days...just to see the touristy things and then go home.
Mountains - no specific mountains...just bigger than I can find in Florida.
Australia - My family lived there when I was a kid, but I was too young to remember...I'd like some memories.
The last is a tie between Uncle N's house and my mom and dad's house


5 things that I'd never wear
A bikini
Hip huggers - when they make skinny girls look not so skinny, there's no way.
Culottes - I went to the same kind of school as Melissa in VA
A"Vote for Nader" shirt
A tube top

5 things I like doing
Traveling, reading, swinging, swimming and rocking on my front porch

5 biggest joys at the moment
MK being home
T. Willy and the Big Man tucked in bed
Air conditioning
Anticipation of the 4 of us heading to DE on Thursday
Antihistamines

5 Famous People I'd like to meet
I thought and thought and could only come up with 2: Laura Bush and Nanci Griffith. I don't want to meet too many people. I'm afraid it will ruin the illusion and then I won't have it to look forward to anymore. (My brother got to meet Nanci Griffith in May. When he was with her, he called me, but the Big Man was on the phone and didn't recognize the number on call-waiting/caller i.d. Thanks for trying, Aaron. He did get me a shirt that she signed, "SING OUT," but I'm almost afraid to wear it.)

5 movies
The Wedding Singer, Breaking Away, Grosse Point Blank, Steel Magnolias,
Shawshank Redemption I LOVE every one of those movies and could watch them over and over.

5 TV shows
Cold Case Files, Investigative Reports, Law & Order, Extreme Home Makeover and, I'm almost ashamed to say, The Brady Bunch

5 Favorite Toys
Digital camera, laptop, baby monitor, power edger, and my new cell phone which the Big Man and I use to text message all day long. I never thought I'd use that feature, but we love it.

5 People to Tag
Well, most of the bloggers I know are because of Mel, so Noelle, Laura, Aaron and Melissa G are the only 4 left.

Whew...I was finished and proofreading on the desktop when it just clicked off...and of course, I hadn't saved...so I had to do much of this twice. But it's finished now. Bye!

1 comment:

melissa said...

I love the part about you dreaming about your current home, even though you didn't have it's address. I am so glad you found it! Are you still teaching? Plan to?
Of course, I knew the Beatles answer. (grin)
The home in W.VA sounds wonderful...and...wouldn't that put you closer to us??(nudge,nudge) And, hey, anytime that you would like to run away to these mountains, just come!
Thanks for doing the Tag,I had to type a lot of mine twice too, for the same reason.ARGH! (Were you cursing my name???)
Have a wonderful time in DE.