Saturday, July 09, 2005

Here we go again

I'm writing tonight from Alachua, FL. It's been a long day.

We went to sleep last night planning to go to the Big Easy with my in-laws (G & P) this afternoon. The Big Man has to work tomorrow, so I was going to follow them and the Big Man would join us after work. Instead, my father in law called me at 8 a.m. and suggested we leave at 9. Yikes...at least I had MK packed because she is supposed to spend next week with them. So I threw some things together for T. Willy and myself and we were ready to leave at 9. Then we sat around and watched the Weather Channel until 9:30 and decided to leave.

We had an easy trip...not much traffic in Pensacola, which we were expecting, and made it to Mobile, AL. G & P were listening to the local news in New Orleans and found out that their parish was being evacuated. So, we turned around and headed for......HOME! Three hours after leaving our home, we were back! Thank the Lord for cell phones. We contacted the Big Man and he was able to find us a hotel room here in Alachua, about 10 miles north of Gainesville. So we stopped at home and ate some lunch and got back in the car and 6+ hours later, here we are.

MK and T. Willy were soooo good. It could have been ugly. She got to ride with G & P. T. Willy rode with me and only cried twice. He has to be exhausted because he hardly even slept. We'll see how he does tonight in the hotel. We came to Gainesville for Hurricane Ivan and we had a great time. It was like a mini vacation. We returned to our house then to minimal damage and power and phone...our cable even came on later that night. We were so fortunate. We know it's in the Lord's hands, so we'll just ride it out and see what happens. Just another adventure.

And...hey to Thom. Good to hear from you. Of course I remember you! I've been following your adventures and saved reading about your trip for tonight so I can take my time!

No comments: