Friday, July 22, 2005

The First State

We're here! We had a bit of a long day yesterday, but we're finally here. We flew out of Pensacola, changed planes in Atlanta and arrived in Philly around 6 p.m. We were a little delayed due to weather in Atlanta but not too bad. T. Willy was ticketed so we were able to take his car seat on the plane and it really helped. He only really cried one time and I was strong and didn't get him out...he can't get out in the car so I didn't want to confuse him. The Big Man downloaded some shows from Tivo onto the laptop, so MK stayed busy with that and reading. She is and has always been an excellent traveler. After we arrived and got luggage and did the car rental, we stopped at Jim's Steaks and got cheesesteaks for dinner. Then we took a scenic route home (not on purpose - but the car has "Neverlost" navigation and we were playing with it) and arrived at my parents' house by 9.

My brother and his 3 kids were waiting for us. T. was shy at first, plus had just woken up, but he warmed up quickly. MK and the cousins went swimming and entertained us, so already the fun has begun.

I don't know why I'm up so early. I don't sleep well when I'm home. I think I'm afraid I'll miss something. What I won't miss today is my dad skydiving! My mom and I are less than thrilled about watching, but we'll be trekking to New Jersey anyway to witness it. It's done in tandem, but, still, my mild-mannered father will be plummeting from the sky. He said there's a 60 second freefall. Nothing in this world would make me want to do that for sport. I'm moderately adventurous but that is where I draw the line.

Also, Sha, was to arrive at the hospital at 6 a.m. I can't imagine that she slept well last night, but I hope she was able to get some rest and is ready to meet "Summer" this morning.

A sweet story: at the airport in Pensacola, I was walking with T. Willy and a woman seated nearby asked how old he was. I told her and she said, "We find out what we're having on Tuesday." She did not look pregnant at all, but she was beaming. She appeared at least my age or older and said that it was her first baby. She asked T's name and talked to him a little bit. Then her husband walked up and she said to him, "Honey, did you see T? This is T. You have to see T." She was obviously very excited about kids and it was neat to see.

Of course, I am, and admittedly a bit too much, conscious of the fact that MK was sitting right near us and hearing every bit of it. T has no idea people are fussing over him, but she is acutely aware. Most people are really kind and talk about what a great big sister she must be and how lucky he is to have her, but this lady was focused on babies and I understood that too.

So, I'll keep you updated. Have a great day!

No comments: