Monday, July 04, 2005

It's Independence Day!

Happy 4th, everyone! We normally have some friends and their kids over for eats and fun but this year they are out of town. One couple went to Stone Mountain, GA and I can't wait to hear how it was. They said there would be fireworks all weekend so they may come back early and enjoy the fireworks our own little town offers tonight.

We live in a small town in the Florida Panhandle. Small compared to where we grew up, but not as small as it was when we moved here. It has experienced a serious population explosion of late, but it still has a great small town feel. It seems that everyone in town shows up for the fireworks. Between my former job as a teacher, the Big Man's job, church, and my daughter's various activities, we can't pass many people without knowing some of them. Parades are even better. I've never experienced a Homecoming parade like we have here for the local high school. That's something I like. We have 5 elementary schools and 2 middle schools, but everyone grows up to be a "Bulldog" since we only have one high school. I imagine that will change due to the growth, but it's something we really enjoy right now.

Before the fireworks, the Big Man's folks are coming for dinner, then we'll come back here afterwards for watermelon. Pretty traditional but we wouldn't have it any other way. Various neighbors have been shooting fireworks for the past 2 nights, so I imagine we'll get to see some more.

Hope you all have a safe and fun 4th! Our freedom is something we don't take for granted. What a great country we have!

2 comments:

melissa said...

Yay! You're blogging! I tell you it is addictive! I tell T. that it's cheaper than therapy. Can't wait to read more. I love the picture. We are going to try to spend one last uninterrupted day with T. before he leaves again, and then I will be catching up on my blog. Tell everyone hello. I wish that we lived closer, because Savannah and M. seem to have very similar interests.
Love it! love it!
Melissa

Thom said...

Welcome to the world of blog!

Parades, fireworks--your town sounds just lovely.

I hope you all had a great holiday!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I'm Melissa's sister--I found you thru her blog. :0D