Sunday, August 30, 2009

Perspective

One of my roommates from my sophomore year of college posted this picture on her Facebook page.

















I commented on it, and she said that if I didn't like it, she would remove it. I considered it for about .2 seconds. But that's what I looked like then. It's who I was and part of who I am.

When I see that picture, I cringe a little. I'm wearing a snowflake sweater and holding (possibly wearing) Christmas tree lights. It's just a little too precious, possibly even cute. And if you know me, I don't really view "cute" as a compliment. When I looked at it, all I could find were negatives...the hair, the lack of makeup, the hideous sweater...had I never heard of tweezers? I could go on. One thing though...I've "filled out" in other areas...but the chin remains!

I digress.

I emailed the picture to the Big Man. This picture was likely taken the month we were engaged. He didn't see the things that bother me at all. He named several good things that he saw.

Perspective is a funny thing.

So here is a recent picture that I don't hate. I'm curious how I'll feel about it in twenty years.

2 comments:

Chellie said...

Perspective is a funny thing. I looked at the picture and had a thought in my head and then went on to read what you wrote. My thought was wow, I wish I was that cute, (sorry, there is that word) way back in the day.

My thoughts - she's pretty, what nice hair and skin and she looks so happy...

And when I see a picture of you that is recent, funny thing, I think the same thing....

Melissa Gephart said...

Yes I agree - it's all about perspective. In photo #1 I see the Annette I knew when we were kids, so silly and always smiling - and in #2 I see the same Annette, matured. Both are beautiful :)