Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ode to Pioneer Woman

Lest you read this post and think, Oh, that clever Annette...this is not an original post. The idea was completely taken from Pioneer Woman, from the recipe to the pictures. If you don't read her blog, then forget what you've just read and feel free to think I am just this clever.

So I stumbled upon this recipe and thought it looked good and like something I could handle. I found the recipe on my new fangled cook book.















Then I assembled the ingredients. I may have mentioned that we live in a very small town. We have 3 grocery stores, but Wal-Mart is the closest. Hence the Wal-Mart brand products. Hey, I'm not proud.














So, the first thing to do is peel, core and slice 2 Granny Smith apples. For my wedding, I was given one of these handy little tools. We moved a lot when we were first married, and it made every move with us. However, I did not know what it was. I just kept moving it with everything else in the drawer. When I finally figured it out, I used it like crazy. So this is number 2.


















Then use 2 containers of crescent rolls. Easier said than done. With a little math, I knew that I needed 16 rolls. Well, the rolls were sold in packages of six, not eight. So I grabbed these...Recipe Creations. They are just solid sheets of dough, so I cut them into eighths and they worked just fine. (See how I made it sound like I planned it, when in fact, I just grabbed 3 packages thinking I would have to waste some, not even realizing I had grabbed the whole sheets.)














Then roll each apple slice in a piece of the dough and place them in a buttered 13 x 9 pan.
















The pan looks a little awkward as I am holding it above. I was trying to get a picture of my new bracelet.
Chel sent it to me with a matching necklace. She also sent MK a necklace and some really fun toys to T. Willy. Thank you so much, Chellie!!! It didn't turn out well in this picture, but keep reading!



It is now time to melt 2 sticks of butter in a saucepan. Yes, 2 whole sticks of real butter!















Then add 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and stir gently, but do not allow the sugar to dissolve.















Add a teaspoon of vanilla. (I am not left handed, just trying to get a good shot of my bracelet.)














Then pour the butter/sugar mixture over the apples, and pour 12 ounces of Mountain Dew around the edges (like PW, I poured it down the center as well.) Sprinkle cinnamon on top and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 - 45 minutes. It took about 40 for me.
















And here is the finished product.















They were delicious. I hope you'll try them and let me know about it. They are very sweet, but it is dessert. The Big Man liked them, and he generally does not care for "hot fruit."

So, thank you, Chellie, for the gifts, thank you, Pioneer Woman, for the ideas, and the rest of you, have a sweet day!!!

4 comments:

Chellie said...

YUM! That looks and sounds like something I would love! I'll totally try it.

The bracelet looks so pretty. I can see it in the other photos. :)

Emily said...

OK, YUMM!!! If I ever have the time to cook again, THIS will be what I fix! Thanks for sharing.

melissa said...

Looks awesome! And the bracelet is pretty, too.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you posted pictures of your cooking :) You crack me up..great bracelet !!! Love it and the hot fruit looks yum!!