Sunday, January 08, 2006

Weekend recap

Not much going on. I've spent late nights this week painting and painting and painting. I painted the bathroom, entry hall, kid's hall, kitchen and one living room wall. Now I only have the rest of the living room to do. But the late nights caught up with me, so I needed a break. Last night I went to bed at 8:00 and woke at 7:45, which is completely unheard of for me. But I feel better and realized I can't do repeated 2:00 a.m.'s like I once could. I'm a night owl for certain, but T. Willy wants to get out of bed no matter how little sleep I've had. The Big Man is off tomorrow and Tuesday, so I should be able to finish.

MK spent the night with a friend last night and I took her and the friend to Build a Bear today. (Em...if you happen to read this, they have a new train ensemble...just thought W might be interested. I also read some neat things about the Strasburg Railroad in PA which looks soooo neat and not super far traveling for you.) MK was given a gift card for Christmas and she still had $$ left on it after a trip in DE. It seems a bit extreme, she has like 10 now, but I know it isn't going to be long and she is going to outgrow teddy bears...I don't think I can stand it quite yet. No rush to grow up. So we did that and then went to McDonald's for lunch.

While at McD's I happened to glance at the headline of our local newspaper. It said that a woman in our town had been murdered. In the 8 years that we've lived here, I think there have been 4 instances of murder that I can remember. I glanced at the article in the machine and saw the woman's name. I knew one person with that last name but wasn't positive it was the same first name. I bought the paper and sure enough it was the mother of one of my 1st grade students a few years ago. There were few details published but it is quite shocking. I was just thinking about them the other day. One day she had not packed him a lunch and brought him something to eat. It was lunchtime so she stayed in the room (small school, they ate in the classroom)and while he ate she just sat and stroked his hair. Something made me remember it, and now I can't stop thinking about it.

So, I'm sorry to end on that downer. I hope you have a great week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it strange that we take our former students (and their families) with us for years in the recesses of our minds? One of my former fifth grade students was killed in a car accident about 3 years ago and it was horrific. He had grown to a 17 year old, but to me he was still 10 and so innocent and precious. I think of him still and pray for his family.

Prayers for the little ones's family.

I'm about to catch your painting bug. I've got to pick up paint this week and begin on the weekend, hopefully. I had a decorator come in April, and I'm just getting around to implementing some of her ideas. (I did redo the kids' rooms in April and May, but have been too busy or didn't have extra money for some of the other things, so I've been reading magazines and dreaming.) Thanks to Flylady (flylady.net) I have a little time on Saturdays for projects so I'm hopeful to get some of it done soon.

Lynette

melissa said...

Prayers for that family, Annie sue.

About the painting/decorating: I am about to start on that too! I'll try to do some before/after photos. Although, my upcoming schedule is NOT looking very forgiving.

So, do you have any painting tips? (Besides hiring someone else to do it, which looks more tempting all the time!)