Monday, October 05, 2009

Tonight T. Willy can have anything he wants

T. Willy's bus usually comes at 3:40. At 3:28 today, my phone rang. It was my neighbor. She asked, "Do you have T.?" My heart dropped. "Uh, no. Are your kids home?" And they were. She said that there had been a substitute bus driver. By the time we got to the bottom of the story, it seemed that he had driven the route in reverse. T. Willy had not recognized that it was time to get off, so he didn't get off the bus. I called two other families in the neighborhood to see if their kids had gotten off the bus yet. One had, and I didn't get to speak to the other. So, I sent MK to another street in case the bus came by, and I waited by our stop to see if the bus came that way. Thankfully, it did in a matter of minutes. I flagged it down, and it stopped. Whew. There was my sweet little boy in his regular front seat with a fireman's hat on crying his eyes out. Somehow the fact that he kept the fireman's hat on the whole time made him seem that much more pitiful. He calmed down, and we explained that when our next door neighbors get off that he should get off too. They also assured him that they would make sure he gets off. He was never in danger; we were all just scared for a couple of minutes.

I had a class tonight. If it didn't take up a whole weekday evening, I would absolutely love it. The subject matter is interesting, and the teacher is really good. It will end in January, so I'm glad it isn't terrible.

MK took this picture of T. Willy while I was in the class. I appreciated her taking it, because T. had been so upset. He was calm when I left, but I still hated leaving him. So, thanks, MK, for the picture! And here is a picture of T. Willy with his "Stop, drop and roll" lollipop. It's Fire Safety month!

1 comment:

Darlene Jones said...

oh no....poor lil guy!! i sure hate that he had to go through that (and you too) but i bet it won't ever happen again :-)
sooo glad he made it home safe and sound!!!!