Friday, April 16, 2010

Good-bye, old friend...you served us well.

So here is a picture of our rocking chair. It has graced our front porch pretty much since we moved to this house in 2001. It is about two years beyond "weathered," and it's time to say good-bye.

I have loved this rocking chair. It started out brown...a gift from my in-laws for my baby shower with MK (1995.) She and I rocked for hours on it. I have vivid memories of nights in Hickory, North Carolina, reading a book called "The Sandman." She loved that book, and we read it night after night until the book literally fell apart.

I also rocked T. Willy on it. He didn't read any particular book, but we also spent many hours on it.

I love to sit out front on the rocking chair and watch people come and go, watch the kids play, and wave to neighbors walking with their families or dogs. It is my favorite place to be at my mom's house, and it's my favorite place to be here.

But the rocking chair is literally falling apart. So, the Big Man encouraged me to get something new. And today it arrived: my brand new glider. It appears big enough to fit 3 people. I'm just so happy about it. So, good-bye to the old while we make room for the new!

1 comment:

Darlene Jones said...

oh no!! not THE CHAIR!!! :'(
good bye!!!...............lol....
like the new one though!! i have somewhere to sit now when i visit..haha