Friday, September 21, 2007

Sugar R.I.P.

Well, Sugar is gone now. It is hard to believe right now, but I'm sure it will sink in very soon.

As you may know, she had squamous cell carcinoma (skin cancer.) It started out as a little scab on her nose and by today, it had eaten away much of her face and spread as high as her eye. The veterinarian assured me that we were doing the right thing, but that didn't make it much easier. The Big Man's parents are in town so the kids stayed there and I went by myself. Until I actually got to the vet, I was doing great. It was easy to talk about and I was being very practical. Then when it happened, which took about 2 minutes, I lost it. I was not expecting that at all. It was such a peaceful and gentle way to go. She was a great cat and will be missed. However, as MK said today as she picked a cat hair off of her shirt, she will always be with us, and I agree, because we will be picking white hairs off of our clothes for quite some time. MK is doing well. She had a couple of breakdowns but is able to understand.

Here is a picture of Sugar taken in April right around the time of her diagnosis. You can see the scab on her nose and that is when it was just beginning. It deteriorated a great deal.

1 comment:

Chellie said...

She is so precious. What a beautiful cat. You did the right thing. I know that doesn't make it easier, but she's happier now and in no pain.

Give MK hugs.