Monday, October 10, 2005

A Cat Tale

We spent Saturday relaxing and swimming. The Big Man and T. Willie watched some football and MK and I went to the movies. We had such a great trip to Atlanta but weren't too sad to come home either.

We stopped at a Cracker Barrel near Montgomery and ran into a friend there. Her parents live there and she had taken her boys there for the long weekend. I haven't seen her in almost a year and she lives in my neighborhood! The moral of this story is "Go to Cracker Barrel." (Just a little plug for those in the know.) Well, maybe the real moral is call your friends more often.

I'll tell you...driving around the Deep South is so different for me. I am a northern girl, but when we drive through Montgomery and Selma, I just feel the South. It is also wild seeing the signs pointing out different landmarks of the Civil Rights movements. Makes you want to get active stomping out oppression everywhere.

We arrived home around 2:00. There is always that pang right before you see the house hoping all is well. We always know the cat will be waiting at the door and purring. We can hear her from the garage. But this time we opened the door and she wasn't standing right there. We walked in the house and she didn't come running in a sleepy stupor. Uh-oh. The Big Man opened our bedroom door, which is just by the garage and here comes kitty. She had been locked in our bedroom for 71 hours! No food...no water...and (big gulp) no litter box!!!! Our first thought was thankful that she was alive, then the reality of no litter box set in. But we sniffed and didn't smell anything...hmmm....nothing in our bedroom that we have yet spotted. We went in the bathroom. Apparently she had only used the rugs...the not too expensive-lay them down with rubber backing-from Target or Wal-Mart easily replaceable rugs!!! Wow...I was stunned and happy as I easily rolled them up and took them to the garbage can.

I did not grow up with cats. I didn't really care for them. But MK wanted a pet and the Big Man knew a girl from work who had to get rid of hers. Sugar was 5 years old when she came to live with us and has completely changed my mind about cats. She is the best pet. She is docile and loving and very gentle with T. Willie no matter how much torture he inflicts upon her. Remember, he's mobile now and really does love to "play" with her. She sleeps with MK and is a great addition to our family. So here's to Sugar!!!! The cat who has been extra loved and extra fed and extra watered.

2 comments:

Thom said...

I'm a dog person, myself, but I've known enough GOOD cats in my day to appreciate where you're coming from.
Glad the little critter was Ok.

And Cracker Barrel does, in fact, rock!

melissa said...

yeah, we love our cat....(and our dogs, and our goldfish, and our gecko).