Wednesday, November 09, 2005

If you see me laughing hysterically...

call 911...because something is probably wrong. This is something I have discovered about myself.

Last year my wonderful brother took his 3 wonderful kids, my wonderful daughter and me to NYC for the day. We had a wonderful time. His friend, Alan, was with the Kenny and Amanda Smith Band and they were giving a concert in the park, so we ended our day of sightseeing watching their concert. (Incidentally, Alan was recently acquired by the Del McCoury Band...big time bluegrass!!! Wonderful brother saw then in Philly last night.) At the end, all we had to do was take the subway back to the ferry, get in the car and head home. Too easy? Of course.

We got on the subway, made it to our stop and wonderful brother, wonderful niece, MK and I got off the train. I turned around to say something to one of the boys in time to watch the door CLOSE!!!! And both boys were still in the train with blank looks on their faces. Wonderful brother had the presence of mind to yell at the boys to get off at the next stop (Brooklyn, I think) and wait for us to take the next train. Now here we were...in this enormous city that only w.b. knows his way around, with his 14 year old and 9 year old alone. W.B. is upset but calm, checking with people to see when the next train was running. The girls started crying. And I? I start LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY...you know, the whole body shaking uncontrollably laughing. Trust me...not for a moment did I think this was funny. It is apparently my very inappropriate reaction to fear. Thankfully, I have had few encounters with true fear, so I didn't really know this about myself. The boys did as they were told and the story has a happy ending. But it has made me do some introspection.

I experienced another episode yesterday when T. Willy hauled the plastic ball at me. It wasn't exactly fear but it was abject PAIN that brought out the giggles. So I'm running around the house, feeling my face swell and laughing. The Big Man was asleep, and I didn't know if it was something that needed attention. You wouldn't have known it even hurt by my reaction. Oh well...just a warning. If you see me laughing (seriously, hysterical guffawing...) call the authorities!

2 comments:

Thom said...

Ummm. I guess it's probably a better reaction than, say, crying hysterically or swearing really loud??

I always find other folks' hysterical laughter to be very contagious. So you and I must NEVER endure a crisis together. We'd get put in the looney bin! LOL! :0)

melissa said...

Please. I beg of you. You and I must NEVER, EVER attend a funeral together. If someone we both know, dies,call first.

I remember that NY story. Almost happened to me in London. My sister (above) saved my arse! Too scary! Those kids must have nerves of steel!