Friday, May 25, 2007

In which I reveal a painful secret

If you knew me in real life, you'd know that I have a pretty good memory. This serves me well when playing Trivial Pursuit (or the Big Man's version - Strip Trivial Pursuit. Too much information? Sorry.) However, it also makes it difficult for me to let...things...go.

Two things that are hard for me to let go are these: when I was in middle school, a boy in my class, for reasons unknown to me, blurted out, "You'd be pretty if your eyes weren't so far apart." So, thanks, Curtis Dencker, to this day I still can't receive a compliment without tempering it with the thought that someone is just being kind to poor, homely me. The funny thing is, the few times I have related that story, the other party assures me that my eyes are not grotesquely far apart, and, Curtis Dencker was no Brad Pitt. However, it is one of those things that I can't seem to let...go. The second was thanks to Mark Dettra. He once decided to blurt out, when I was laughing at something, "Your teeth are really yellow." This has been a trial for me, because I am generally a pretty smiley person. Sigh. It may have been true, just unkind, and once again, hard to let...go.

Fast forward to the present. My mom and and dad generously gave me a monetary gift for graduation. My mom's request was that I spend it on something I normally wouldn't. It wasn't quite enough for me to realign my entire facial composition, but it is enough for me to get ZOOM!!!! So Wednesday I am going to start the process of having my teeth whitened. I am cautiously optimistic that it will make an improvement and I will finally let Mark Dettra's words GO.

However, if you ever go on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" and you need a phone-a-friend, I'm your girl!

Have a great day!

And, Happy Birthday to my mother in law!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to get my teeth whitened for awhile now. Not that they're "bad," but when I see someone with really nice white teeth I'm always so envious. So good for you! You deserve it!

Have a great weekend!

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

Chellie said...

yay! That sounds like a nice present for yourself! Funny how those old comments can get us years later... so happy for you!

Emily said...

What a great gift to yourself! Can't wait to hear how it goes. And be sure to do before and after pictures :)

melissa said...

yes. You have a disgustingly good memory. I can't even remember how old I am turning on my next birthday. And I can't blame it on age, because I've ALWAYS been that way!

Awesome, about the ZOOM! That is SO cool. And for the record, I have always envied your teeth, and smile! Just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I just talked to Curtis and he's right!

It's a shame you held onto that memory. In all likelihood he said that because he HAD A CRUSH ON YOU!!!

Just so you know both sides to the story, your "He's no Brad Pitt" turned out to be a Captain in the US Air Force! I know how you feel about Military men.

Please keep up the blog. We love it... especially Curtis :)